My name is Michael Noland and I make things. Usually software, sometimes hardware and other tangibles.
I currently work at Epic Games as a Lead Programmer.
Fortnite (PC, Mac, PS4, XB1)
Cowtastrophe (PC, Mac)
Pixelated Martini Roller (PC, XBLIG)
2004Mbit Compo Cartridge (GBA)
St. Patrick Magical Kill Time II (custom JAMMA arcade board)
Absolute Terror (PC)
Contributed (via Unreal Engine) to many titles released since early 2010
- Unreal Engine 4.14 (November 2016)
- Unreal Engine 4.13 (September 2016)
- Unreal Engine 4.12 (June 2016)
- Unreal Engine 4.11 (March 2016)
- Unreal Engine 4.10 (November 2015)
- Unreal Engine 4.9 (August 2015)
- Unreal Engine 4.8 (June 2015)
- Unreal Engine 4.7 (February 2015)
- Unreal Engine 4.6 (December 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.5 (October 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.4 (August 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.3 (July 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.2 (May 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.1 (April 2014)
- Unreal Engine 4.0 (March 2014)
- UE3 and UE4 Monthly QA Builds
Contributed (via Gamebryo) to many titles released since late 2006
- Gamebryo LightSpeed 3.1.1 (March 2010)
- Gamebryo LightSpeed 3.1 (October 2009)
- Gamebryo LightSpeed 3.0 (May 2009)
- Gamebryo 2.6 (October 2008)
- Gamebryo 2.5 (June 2008)
- Gamebryo 2.3 (April 2007)
- Gamebryo 2.2.1 (October 2006)
Mappy VM Development Suite for the Game Boy Advance
- Mappy VM 0.9 (April 2003)
- Mappy VM 0.8 (October 2001)
- Mappy VM 0.7 (July 2001)
- Mappy VM 0.5 (April 2001)
Publications / Presentations / Patents
- Guided Content Optimization for Gears of War 3 – East Coast Game Conference 2011.
- Prakash: lighting aware motion capture using photosensing markers and multiplexed illuminators – ACM SIGGRAPH 2007 Papers.
- Complementary Tracking and Two-Handed Interaction for Remote 3D Medical Consultation with a PDA – Proceedings of Trends and Issues in Tracking for Virtual Environments, Workshop at the IEEE Virtual Reality 2007 Conference.
- Instant replay using high speed motion capture and projected overlay – ACM SIGGRAPH 2006 Sketches.
- System and method for sensing geometric and photometric attributes of a scene with multiplexed illumination and solid states optical devices – U.S. Patent 8,009,192.
- Improving, Expanding and Extending 3D Telepresence – Proceedings of International Workshop on Advanced Information Processing for Ubiquitous Networks, International Conference on Artificial Reality and Telexistence 2005.
- Inferring a Proprietary Wireless L3 Protocol From Packet Traces – Technical Report, UNC-CH 2005.