Undead Man Lover is the game I worked on for the 2013 Global Game Jam at the NC State location.
The jam started off rough due to a nasty winter storm, which prevented us from meeting on Friday night. We did pitches/team formation thru a combination of mumble, google+, and a wiki. Thankfully the roads cleared up enough to open the jam site on Saturday around 1 pm and we were able to jam in person for the rest of the weekend.
How to Play
- As one of the last humans alive, you need to love you some zombies to save the human race.
- Revive zombies and help the un-undead escape thru the portal.
- Zombies love beating hearts, distract them with yours.
- Spells and running take a toll on your heart.
This game can be played with a keyboard or a gamepad.
- Arrow keys – Movement.
- Z – Revive the nearest zombie.
- X – Repulse nearby zombies.
- C – Meditate to calm your heart.
- [Left Stick] – Movement.
- [A] – Revive the nearest zombie.
- [B] – Repulse nearby zombies.
- [X] – Meditate to calm your heart.
You need the XNA4 redistributable package to play the game:
The theme was [sound of a beating heart], and we had initially been stuck in a rut creating ideas that were just ‘it’s like X but’… ‘ you manage heartrate’ / ‘in a heart’ / ‘to the beat’. After a few of these, Nick and I threw some heart-related words into the venerable madlib generator and went thru the list.
“Undead Man Lover” was one that immediately clicked, although some of the off-theme ones looked good too (maybe for a future jam…). Our final game ended up surprisingly close to the initial pitch, with only a shift from a post-apocalyptic cityscape to a fantasy setting due to art availability.
Additional content used under license from: